Thursday, April 23, 2009

So, I took a hiatus...


I want to get back into blogging. I guess between Facebook and Twitter, I don't have much left to say.... but I don't get any benefits from those sites. I can't publish it all and call it my journal. I can't pass it on to my children.

I just got back from a trip to my alma mater, The Alabama School of Math and Science, for my 15 year high school reunion. Yup, do the math. What? You can't believe I'm that old? Thanks. I love hearing that one.

So fifteen years have gone by. You would think we were older and wiser and maybe even a little more mature. Ha! I think the highlight of my trip was crashing the prom. It was on the USS Alabama for goodness sakes! Who could resist? We had a blast. I think it was the best prom ever.

We weren't a bunch of weird old geezers hanging around fancy-dressed high school students while longing for days of old. We just went to the prom and climbed around the ship threatening to spit loogies on each other. It was amazing. It was like time had never passed, at least for the moment. I realized that I was a married mom of two but still a kid inside.

Seeing my friends was wonderful. I saw my old roomate, Sarah. She was like a 40-something year old mom stuffed into a petite 17 yr old body back then. Now, she's 34 and pretty much the same. I missed her and didn't even realize it.

I spent a lot of time with my best friends, Ben and Sunita. Memories came flooding back... it was weird. I had forgotten so many things and then my mind opened up and all this stuff came back. I laughed and cried and then cried while laughing. We were such hilarious kids, or at least we thought. Although years have passed, I still feel they are kindred spirits to me. There is a bond there that was never broken and a closeness still exists today.

I had a BBS friend, Jason, that ended up going to ASMS also. He grew up about 15 minutes from my hometown in northeast Alabama. We became great friends. We shared six hour commutes to and from Mobile, and we also spent a school trip abroad in London together. I reminded him of how he and his roommate warned me about this guy I was dating. They told me he was really a not so nice guy and that I should break up with him. Jason didn't remember that, but I remember listening to him and breaking up with the guy.

Wow, what an amazing time. I think my favorite compliment was that I hadn't changed a bit. I think I have physically and maybe even a tad emotionally, but in the end, I was the same old Melody.

1 comment:

Lisa said...

I love hearing people's memories of ASMS, there are just so many things I've forgotten- and I've got an extra year of forgetting on you!