Tuesday, August 7, 2007

The Beginning of the End

I thought that now would be a good time to start a blog. We just moved to Ohio, Maya can watch Curious George for an hour straight, I'm at home all day, and we are about to have another little girl. I keep thinking it is a good time, but isn't this just the calm before the storm? In my mind I wonder how in the world I will handle two kids. Maya has been such an 'easy' child... until she turned two. Jeff wants 3 or 4 kids and I can't imagine more than one. I guess that one is not an option at this point.... baby #2, Reili Hana, is due in exactly 8 days. I say exactly because we need to have her by c-section.

I remember reading somewhere that you can get a good idea of the weight of your child by averaging what the parents weighed at their birth. I was around 6.5 pounds and so was Jeff. Somehow, we produced an 8 lb. 3 oz. baby that was too big for me to deliver. So... maybe I gained twice as much weight as my mom did when she was pregnant, so what? 8 and 9 pound babies are the norm these days, right? 6 pound babies is SO '70s. Bigger and better is way of the new millenium...

Since we moved I have been all nostalgic about pretty much everything. I think the pregnancy hormones might have something to do with it. I signed up on facebook and myspace. I searched for every friend I had ever known and so far, I have found a lot of them. I read an email from a childhood friend, Harisha, and just cried. I had missed her and didn't even know it. Ok, so weird things make me cry right now.

Jeff has started a new job. He works for the government. He is still working like he did when he was a student. It is so funny because that's just not how government workers work. They get 30 days of PAID time off. They get 3 hrs a week for "work out" time. Yes, you can exercise while on the clock AND get paid. They get so many days off for almost every little holiday, plus the AF commander makes up days as "family holidays" and gives it to everyone to take off. Jeff feels guilty if he takes a whole hour for lunch.... we'll make a government worker out of him before he retires!

Maya is anxiously anticipating her little sister's arrival. We decided to celebrate Reili's actual birthday by making a cake. Maya is just as excited about having cake as she is about having a little sister.

My mom is coming in a few days. I am excited to see her and more excited that I will have some help around the house. I'm too big and uncomfortable to do much these days. Maya calls her "Baba" which is short for the Japanese word "Obaasan" which means grandmother.

8 days. I think I can make it. I just want my body back. I know I'm doing all this for a good cause....I think I can make it...
-MK

1 comment:

Grandpa Dan said...

Sweet blog. Work on Jeff. He will be glad you did.


Grandpa